Thursday, May 10, 2012

Carroll Baker In Italy



  I've always loved this still of Carroll Baker and Erika Blanc from Umberto Lenzi's So Sweet....So Preverse (1969). In the 60's following a legal battle with Paramont Studios and a divorce from her husband Baker settled in Italy and appeared in a number of sexy/giallo thrillers including The Sweet Body of Deborah (1968), The Devil Has Seven Faces (1971) ,Baby Yaga (1973) and the above mentioned So Sweet...So Preverse.  She even did some nude scenes.
  She did two more movies for Lenzi in 1969. Orgasmo was released in the U.S. as Paranoia and the second one for Lenzi was titled Paranoia, so that was released in the U.S. under the title of A Quiet Place To Kill (kinda confusing).  Baby Yaga was recently released by Blue Underground ,however the rest of Carroll's Italian "oeuvre" is hard to find on legit releases, but is floating around "out there".
  Years ago I got the chance to meet Carroll at a Chiller Convention in NJ. I had brought my copy of Blood & Black Lace : The Definitive Guide to Italian Sex & Horror Movies for her to sign. I kind of cautiously approached her with it as I had heard she wasn't all together comfortable with some of her work during that period. To my delight she happily signed a picture of a lobby card from So Sweet...So Perverse and laughing said "I can't believe somebody did a book on those" !  She was a very nice lady.






No comments:

Post a Comment